Monday 7 October 2013

Elephant Amigurumi


And here he is!I have finally finished my elephant amigurumi. He was not too difficult to make - I was just rather lazy when it came to sewing the individual elements together to make the completed toy!

I have tried a few amigurumi projects prior to this but they were all improvised and I couldn't seem to get the proportions quite right. This is my first attempt at following an official pattern, and I am pleased with the results.

I found this pattern in Teri Crews' Animal Amigurumi to Crochet, published by Annie's Attic (2013).


This is a great little resource for crochet addicts looking to test their skills on small scale projects at an intermediate skill level. The instructions are clear and easy to follow but the complete beginner may want to practice their techniques on simpler projects before giving these patterns a try. A wide range of stitches are used and the toys work up comparatively small resulting in rows and rounds which are quite delicate and complex. These are not projects whereby you can let your mind meander in front of the television whilst happily repeating the same stitch, as in for instance, a simple throw. It is essential you keep count of both your row and stitch throughout but the results are well worth it. There are 8 super cute designs in the book, each with its own unique character and would make ideal gifts for children and those young at heart alike. The gorgeous, woolen texture of the amigurumi creates a lovely vintage feel. They make fantastic mascots and would look at home on any craft lovers shelf, armchair or even bed!

One quick word of warning - as with all amigurumi toys please do not give them to children under the age of 3 due to their delicate nature and small parts.



The pattern begins with the body. It is the largest piece of the project and seems to resemble an elongated pear.It is a good component to get your 'eye in' before starting on the trickier pieces.



The head and trunk are crocheted separately, with the end of the trunk remaining open after stuffing to attach to the face. A few strands of yarn are added to create hair. The eyes are stitched on afterwards - Unfortunately I didn't have any of the author's suggested white felt, and therefore only created pupils. I am not 100% happy with these yet, but luckily they can be easily changed if eventually I decide I'm not satisfied with the current look.


Cute flashes of pale blue yarn are used to add depth and interest to the little legs.


Unexpectedly, the ears are perhaps the trickiest section of the elephant to make. It is imperative to keep count of your stitches with these, and a couple of stitch variations are utilised in order to create the shaping and edges.


I think this colourful collar is great touch to break up the potential monotony of the grey body pieces. The bright bold yarns are stitched into small circular, granny-style motifs which are then sewn together.

All in all I am very pleased with this elephant, he was a pleasure to make and I'm delighted with the finished product.


I hope you enjoy the pics and thanks so much for reading,
Tor










No comments:

Post a Comment